Speed Issues

posted under by Philip Howlett
As part of my user testing I asked people to mark my site from 1-5 on how long it takes to load. 1 being poor and 5 being excellent. Considering the site is a fairly small 2.5MB, it shouldn't take long at all to load with a broadband connection. Even on the slowest broadband of around 2mbps it should only take 12.5 seconds to load. Baring this in mind, I received a fair bit of negative feedback so I thought I'd test the site out on my 10MB connection. It should have taken 2-3 seconds, but instead took about 10. So I got talking to support at my web hosting company. I'll keep things updated.

My Support Ticket
Fri May 02 2008 11:44AM by philhowlett@msn.com FROM:
SITE: http://www.philiphowlett.com
ADDR: 86.10.85.1

It seems that everything on my site is slow. I'm using a 10MB line, which I can max out on most websites. On my own website the maximum download is only 50kbps if I'm lucky. Just wondering why that is? I need the speed as a lot of my content is streamed video and downloaded images so I need fast download speeds.

I know it's not my ISP I've already checked that on my end. It's just all content from bluehost. Where as most sites will allow me to download at 700kbps to 1.1mbps I only get 35-50kbps when testing my site.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply #1
Fri May 02 2008 12:22PM by support-other@bluehost.com Try proxy browsing through turbohide.com or megaproxy.com and and test your speeds. If you need help doing this, let us know and we can walk you through it.

Thanks,
James Belliston
Level 1
BlueHost.com
888.401.4678

0 comments

Make A Comment
top