Early Research

posted under by Philip Howlett
Taking the advice from the brief I've had a look at http://www.single-shot.co.uk/ to see what a one-shot-film should look like. This is an area of film I'm not familiar with, so I thought it would be useful to look at this kind of website before I go mad with ideas.

The first video I came across was "Automotive Action Painting" by George Barber. It opens with what looks like a wall with a white line through it. It soon becomes apparent that this is a road, seen from above. I'm not sure how they got this shot, but it works brilliantly for the piece. From the left a car comes in to view and parks right on the edge of the frame. This leaves all the space towards the top of the screen open. It starts of with a rather dull colour pallete, but I really liked the composition. By the end, the frame is flooded with colours and it becomes a piece of art. I really appreciated this artistic touch. There wasn't a real narrative for me, it was just really interesting to watch. It was also simply filmed, and followed the rules of our brief. It's a shame I can't go round chucking paint all over the place. My one criticism is that it goes on a little too long.

The second video I want to talk about is "I've been single too long" by Shane Davey. I loved this for the comedy of it. The way I interpreted the story is that the guy has been single for so long he's constantly got women on his mind. Wherever he looks they're there, he can't escape them. The beauty of the way it's filmed is in the way women are revealed. As the camera follows him through his house the camera angles are perfect at getting the women on screen briefly so you get this idea of them being everywhere. It's obviously a well rehearsed film, and in that respect it's useful to understand how important that is. Unfortunately we can't move the camera in our video to follow someone, so that direction can't be taken. I did however like the effect on the film, I don't know if was pre or post production. Being black and white, with the frame circular and undefined it reminded me of voyeuristic angle taken through a peephole.

The last one I wanted to comment on is "Surprise" by Benn Dodd. This was my favourite one because of the twist in the plot. It goes to prove that in a small film like that you can produce a story and a shock. The panning of the camera around that set is again something we can't do on our project, but it's nice to see how people approach things differently.

All in all, three very different pieces. Art, comedy and shock. I'm still backing the artistic route for my group, mainly because I have more experience of it, but also because I think it suits the project. Watching these films gave me a better understanding of what can be achieved in a 2 minute film. The importance of preparation has also been pointed out.

0 comments

Make A Comment
top